March 9, 2009

Movie analysis

Movie: Quarantine
This movie really didn't have many ads before it was released, but I have seen a lot of advertisement for its DVD release. The ads are mainly a picture of a woman screaming in night vision. I watched the movie last night, and after really thinking and analyzing it, it was very gendered focused. The plot of the movie is a woman with her one man camera guy following her shadow a couple guys who work at a firehouse. They go to one call, and end up getting stuck there, and not being allowed out because of a virus in the house. The woman who is the tv reporter, plays into 'woman' stereo types a lot, shes a reporter, and she screams a lot. Almost every scene with her, she is screaming and being calmed down by another man. She is scared to move or do anything with out the help of another person, who just happens to be a man, a fireman at that. The epitome of what it means to be a man: strong, couragous, brave, handsome, and smart. I won't tell you the ending, but the woman does not last long by herself, implying that as soon as the men died off, she did too.

Readings:
The F word: Ch. 7
"Does it trap or empower, does it strengthen or weaken?"
I liked this chapter because it focused on marriage and relationship balances for the woman who has a life plan. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, I feel that even if you enter into a relationship with a man who claims to be a feminist, you will still end up doing the majority of the housework, and child raising. Marriage also brings up the question of divorce. Also, divorce with children can be awful for the children. I'm not sure where I stand on this subject, but I know I won't be getting married anytime soon.

No comments: